The only water we will ever have is what we have now.
Showers use 9 gallons of water per minute.
A bath requires 30 to 50 gallons.
When ground water is contaminated it may remain that way for several thousand years.
It takes 120 gallons of water to produce an egg.
A hot water faucet that leaks 60 drops per minute can waste 192 gallons of water and 48 kwhrs of electricity per month.
Human blood is 83% water. Human bones are 25% water.
Running the tap waiting for water to get hot or cold can waste 5 gallons per minute.
Saltwater is 97% of water on earth. Three percent is freshwater. Most of the freshwater stored on the earth is frozen in glaciers.
Each day the sun evaporates 1,000,000,000,000 (one trillion) tons of water.
The earth's surface is about 80% water. That is about 320,000,000,000,000 (363 trillion) gallons of water.
Watermelons is 93% water.
"Water" was the first word that Helen Keller learned. "Water was the last word spoken by President Ulysses S. Grant.
In some deserts, rain is so uncommon that the natives do not have a word for it.
Over 42,000 gallons of water are needed to grow and prepare the food for a typical Thanksgiving dinner for eight in the United States. This is enough to fill a 30 by 50 foot swimming pool.
People in the United States use as much as 700,000,00,000 (700 billion) gallons of water each day.
Heating water is the second largest energy user in the home.
In some countries law requires solar heating of water for domestic uses.
The koala bear and the desert rat do not drink water.
In one glass of water, there are about 8,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (8 septillion water molecules.
In a one hundred year period, a water molecule spends 98 years in the ocean, 20 months as ice, about 2 weeks in lakes and rivers, and less than a week in the atmosphere.
Poor quality drinking water kills the equivalent of 20 jumbo jets filled with children every day..
- A corn plant needs 54 gallons per season.
- A milk cow needs 15 gallons per day or 5,475 gallons per year.
- A horse needs 10 gallons per day or 3,650 gallons per year.
- A hog needs 4 gallons per day or 1,500 gallons per year.
- An acre of sugar beets consumptively uses 651,702 gallons or 2 acre feet per season
- An acre of alfalfa needs 488,776 gallons per season in Colorado and 684,240 gallons in New Mexico.
- One bail of has requires 17,000 gallons.
- One truckload of 450 bails of has requires 7,650,000 gallons or 23.47 acre feet.
- A Cubic Foot per Second or a Second Foot is also called a CFS. It equals 448.8 U.S. gallons per minute.
- One-Acre Ft. is the amount of water necessary to cover one acre of land to a depth of one foot deep. It is equal to 325,851.45 U.S. gallons.
- An irrigation is about six inches of water per acre unless the soils are saline when extra water is needed. An irrigation will usually penetrate 4-6" deep. If soils are saline additional water is needed to flush salts from the root zone.
- A Miners-Inch varies between 11.69 gpm in Colorado and 8.98 to 11.22 gpm in other western states of the United States.
- One U.S. gallon is 0.8327 Imperial gallons
- One cubic foot is 7.48062 U.S. gallons
- One cubic meter is 264.2 U.S. gallons
- One acre foot is 1,233.26 cubic meters
Back to Top